Who We Are & What We Do…
ADAB is a charity, established in 1997 working with key stakeholders in the area to develop and implement initiatives that improve and enhance the economic, educational, social, recreational and cultural conditions of people from minority ethnic communities (including asylum seekers/refugees).
We have a 16 year track in engaging and supporting people from minority ethnic communities, focusing on initiatives to help them to:
- acquire the skills, knowledge and confidence to move into training, education or employment
- promoting and improving health and wellbeing
- encouraging greater involvement in the community
- promoting and strengthening community cohesion and
- supporting young people who are at risk of disengaging from education, employment or training and those who are engaged in anti-social behaviour
- providing advice and information to access mainstream services
We work with men, women, young and elderly people from primarily the South Asian community (people with Pakistani, Indian & Bangladeshi heritage) as well as new and emerging communities including asylum seekers and refugees within Bury. Our service users face a range of barriers which prevent them from participating in education, training, volunteering and employment, most notably, a poor grasp of English which limits their ability to understand their basic rights; and to identify and access benefits, healthcare and other public services.
Adab was proud and delighted to have been awarded the prestigious Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service in 2013. The Award was presented at a ceremony at Gorton Monastery, a beautiful setting, by the Lord-Lieutenant of Greater Manchester, Warren Smith, and the Vice Lord-Lieutenant Michael Oglesby.
We wish to thank our staff and particularly our volunteers who deserve this the most as we wouldn’t be able to do what we do without the help and support of our many volunteers who come from a range of backgrounds and offer their time, knowledge, expertise and experience to make it easier for us to deliver our activities for the communities of Bury.